Smoked Barbecue Beef Brisket Recipe with Hickory and Mesquite Wood
Texas Style Smoked Barbecue Beef Brisket Recipe
stars based on 6 ratings.
Texas Style Smoked Beef Brisket Recipe
Published: October 10, 2011
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 9 hours
Total time: 10 hours
Yield: 12 servings
Calories per serving: 493
Fat per serving: 26.9g
- 1 (3-4 pound) Beef Brisket
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 12 ounces Budweiser beer
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces bbq sauce
- Prepare rub by adding paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, and rosemary into bowl and mix
- Add rub to beef brisket on both sides and add a little olive oil over rub. Wrap and place in refrigerator overnight
- Prepare mop dressing by adding beer, water, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar and onion powder and stir. Let cool in refrigerator overnight
- Soak hickory wood chunks and mesquite wood chips overnight, then drain before use.
- Prepare smoker/grill with 3 chimney starters full of hardwood lump charcoal and when turned grey, place in smoker-box with 2 hickory wood chunks and a handful of mesquite wood chips. As brisket smokes, continue to add more wood chunks and charcoal when necessary to maintain 200-225 degree temperature.
- Lay brisket fat side up, and close grill and smoker-box for 1 hour, then add mop dressing over brisket (continue to do so every 45 minutes to an hour).
- After 6 hours, place brisket fat side down into aluminum foil and wrap (this will help the meat cook throughout and tenderize).
- After 8 hours, add BBQ sauce into small aluminum tray and allow to heat
- After 8 1/2 to 9 hours, check brisket to see if internal temperature reaches 180 degrees, if so, take brisket out of grill/smoker and let sit for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Slice beef brisket across the grain and serve with a spoonful of BBQ sauce